Thursday, October 20, 2016

The Elephant and the Dog

x
The elephant is reunited with the dog.
Illustration from More Jataka Tales by Ellsworth Young (1922).


In a mountain temple in northern India, the Brethren were all seated before the mountain temple, talking amongst themselves. They had fasted for several days and were waiting for the Master to appear, so that he may impart some of his wisdom to them. They were now talking about a pair of farmers who, although not related, were very good friends. They had been friends since childhood and never seemed to argue. Whenever one of them fell on bad times, the other would help him.z
When the Master finally appeared, he asked the Brethren what they had been talking about. They told him of these two farmers, who lived in a village at the foot of the mountains.
The Master said to them, "They have been friends for a long, long time, and in many different ages. Although I could tell you the story of every age of their friendship, I will tell you perhaps the most important one."
Thus did the Master begin this tale:

Once upon a time in India, the king had mile-long stable of elephants. There were dozens of elephants. They lived an extraordinarily relaxed life. They had a wise and diplomatic king, so their country never experienced war. All they did most days was eat hay and grass and play tricks on one another. It was a happy life.
During the monsoon season, a soaking wet dog crept into the elephant stable. All of the elephants were afraid of the dog. He had sharp teeth and looked just like a wolf. Only one elephant didn’t panic when she saw the dog. This pachyderm was more intrigued by the dog than afraid of him. She went up to the dog and asked him what his name was.
“I am Rama,” he replied, shivering, obviously afraid of the huge creatures which stood in the stable. Rama thought he would be eaten.
"Rama?"
"I spent a lot of time exploring the forest as a puppy, so my pack gave me that nickname."
The elephant, being very bright, could tell that he was afraid and tired. She said to him, "My name's Hanumana, because I liked playing tricks on my brothers and sisters. Don’t be afraid. We are all vegetarians here. I’ll talk to my friends and tell them that you are a friend.”
Rama thanked her profusely.
In time the dog and the elephant became great friends. The dog slept in the elephant stable every night and they played games together every day.
One day, a farmer saw the dog by the stables and asked the elephant-keeper whether he could buy the dog. The elephant-keeper didn’t like the dog, thinking he would spread fleas to the king’s elephants, so the elephant-keeper sold the dog to the farmer for only a few rupees. Hanumana became very sad. She barely ate and barely slept.
Soon after, a war started between the king of India and the king of Hindia, a neighboring country. Soon all of the elephants were sent into battle. This was the first time Hanumana had been to war and she was extraordinarily frightened. When she arrived at the front, she saw all of the dead bodies and the dying men being carried in carts. Hanumana only wanted to go home. She had seen enough of this war.
As it turned out, Rama had been depressed since having been sold and refused to do any work. Because of this, the farmer had sold Rama to the army of Hindia.
On the second day of the battle, the elephant was walking across the field when she spied a great pack of dogs running towards her. The elephant reared up, ready to smash the dogs, not because she wanted to, but because she didn’t want the king, who was riding on her back, to be hurt.
Rama was the leader of this pack and recognized the elephant. He stopped and so did the dogs following him.
"What's wrong, captain?" one of the dogs asked.
Rama replied, "This elephant and I were good friends many years ago. I cannot fight against someone who has been so dear to me for so long."
The kings of both sides saw these animals talking and were befuddled.
The chief advisor of the king of India said to his ruler, "Truly this a miracle. If these two animals, who have been trained to kill each other, can become friends, surely you and the king of Hindia can become friends."
"You are wise," the king replied, "but why should we learn lessons from two animals?"
"Did you not learn lessons from animals in the fables of old? Did the ancient epics not describe wise and courageous animals such as Jatayu?"
The king was convinced. He called for a ceasefire and the other king agreed. The two monarchs, being very wise, talked about the issue which had caused this war. They saw that it had been a misunderstanding over borders and soon settled the issue.
These two kings decided to ally themselves, should some enemy attack them. From then on, each year, the elephant and the dog spent six months in the Indian king's palace and six months in the Hindian king's palace. The dog and the elephant never again had to go to war and they remained best friends for the rest of their days.

"So," the Master said, "these two farmers have been friends for a long time. You, Brethren, have likely guessed who that minister was. If you haven't guessed it, he is the one who has told you the story of these two great friends."

Author’s Note

For this story, I decided to adapt one of the Jataka tales. Jataka tales tell of Gautama Buddha's previous lives. Often, these stories will be framed within another (such as the Master telling the Brethren a story). They usually teach some sort of moral lesson.
In my story , I decided to elaborate on some of the circumstances surrounding the animals’ reunification. In the original story, the elephant and the dog are separated; then, the king and his minister recognize this and reunite them. In my story, the elephant and the dog must go through the terrible circumstances of war in order to find each other again.
Their reunification also offers a chance of reconciliation to the two kings. They wisely decide that if the animals of both sides can get along, then their two kingdoms can too. This serves as the moral lesson of the story. Without a proper dialogue with those you come into conflict, you're likely to make the situation much worse. By not talking out the issue, you might even hurt those around you.
This moral is somewhat different from the one in the original story (unusual friendships). Given the circumstances of these animals' reunion, the morals of reconciliation and dialogue seem more fitting within my own version of the story.


Bibliography

Robert Chalmers. The Jataka (vol. 1). 1895.

Ellen C. Babbitt. More Jataka Tales. 1922.

Wikipedia. "Jataka tales."

8 comments:

  1. I considered reading Jataka Tales for my StoryBook this semester, so I am so happy to see you "re-do" one of the stories here! From your Author's note, it sounds like you really expanded and fleshed out the story to make it more interesting. That's something I found with one of the traditional folk tales books I read, Twenty Two Goblins (by Arthur Ryder), that they were a little bland and predictable, so I am especially pleased to see you think of it in a way that stretches the possibilities for max entertainment value. Touche! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this was such a cute story! I really loved the characters, especially the elephant. Also, learned a new word: "pachyderm". I also like how the two met. I think it was well representative of the original story because Rama was basically just lost and helpless when Hanumana found him. Overall, I liked your concept and idea behind this story. I only saw a couple of typos here.

    Paragraph two: comma need in the last sentence
    "...what the small, wolf-like creature's name was."

    Paragraph nine: combine the last two sentences
    " Because of this, the farmer had sold Rama into the army of Hindia where he served as a war dog."

    I think my favorite parts of this story was how you explained how they were given their names, and I loved the names of the two countries that were battling. I think you did a good job and I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story has a great foundation and so much room to grow! I really like the beginning when Hanumana sees Rama and recognizes that he is need of help, not there to harm the elephants. The names led me on a completely different path far from Buddhism though. The entire time I was reading I was trying to connect your story with one of the stories from the Ramayana. I would try to come up with different names, perhaps Sanskrit words for elephant and dog. Or you could take names of things related to Buddhism. I also like your idea of making one of the characters into Buddha. Although Hindia is humorous, you may be able to create another name for that too. You could use Lanka or another setting from our stories. I like the theme of your story very much and would be excited to hear more of the Jataka tales.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful message! This story just makes you feel good when you’re done reading it! I love that you made the animals be the ones to bring peace. They ignore their animal instincts and rely on their past friendship to stop the war while the humans just think, wow these animals even want peace, why are we fighting? I haven’t read the original story so I am curious how close you kept to the story and how much you expanded. As for your portfolio as a whole, I like your short introduction explaining how you are choosing the stories and that you’ll be glorifying those who followed their duty. In this story the animals followed their duty to their friendship rather than their duty to the king. An interesting twist. Finally, I like that you are keeping a small running theme to tie these stories together rather than a major one. It makes it fun to read your stories and find out what connects them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so excited I got to read a story that came from the inspiration of the tale of the dog and the elephant. Just like you, I also chose to read the Jataka tales. I enjoy them because they are very short in length but also contain a great lesson. I was really hoping to find another portfolio/story that had stories that are based around these tales. Your story was absolutely great. I loved how you included names of characters from the Ramayana in this story. I do not think I have seen one person mix the characters from the epics in relation to other tales so great job on this unique take. I really liked how you gave explanation for why the dog and elephant had these names. Overall, I think this was a great addition to your portfolio and I'm excited to see how this project concludes at the end of the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Corbin! You did such a great job with this story! I really like the way that you told it and how it had such a happy ending. I think that the way that you expanded on the animals reunification was perfect and very well done. I also really like how the animals are the ones who essentially end the war. This story reminded me of an episode of "Unlikely Animal Friends" on National Geographic! Since I didn't read this story, I don't know if the names of the animals was your doing or the original authors. But, if it was your doing, I really like how you connected the dog and elephant's names back to the Ramayana with Rama and Hanumana! I think it was a fun way to connect all of these Indian Epics back to one another. This story was incredible and I hope that I get to read some more of your stories throughout the rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also read the Jataka Tales for a reading this semester and remember reading what you based your story around. You did a great job with this story and expanding on the simple tale between the dog and the elephant. I liked how you made the story transition back into a happy ending. The story was moving towards an ending that would result in the elephant and dog fighting but I liked how it was their friendship that solved the conflicts. I also liked how you connected several epics and tales into one with using Rama and Hanumana as the characters for the animals. I thought it was a really fun way to connect and make the story interesting. I have not come across any other stories that connected more than one story into one. I really enjoyed this story and look forward to reading more during the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was so well written. I am a huge animal lover so when I saw the title of this story I had to read it! I read the Jataka Tales version as well and I think you did a great job! Your version was much more action packed! I actually liked your version better. It was a really cool twist when they ran into each other on the battlefield. I also liked that you named them Rama and Hanumana. This brought parts of the other epics into your Jataka Tale. I only saw one typo...

    " Whenever one of them fell on bad times, the other would help him.z"

    A "z" just snuck in there somehow! Otherwise, it was perfect. You are a very talented writer and I'm so glad I was assigned to you before the semester ended!!

    ReplyDelete